I have a favourite pair of shorts. They are old and not particularly special, and certainly not very pretty.... but I like them. They are 'comfortable'. They have been to lots of places and I've had lots of fun whilst wearing them. My most memorable occasion was when I was visiting my friends in Puerto Rico about 8 or so years ago (and they weren't new then). I was walking their lovely Basset hound on a lead and, very unlike me, I decided to jog for a bit. I was a few kilos lighter then, and as I ran the shorts began to slip. Downwards. Then some ducklings crossed our path and Ludovic decided to run a bit faster than me. He wasn't a dog that was typically inclined to move any faster than absolutely necessary, but the next thing I knew Ludo was trying to get away and my shorts were around my ankles. My friends nearly died laughing. It wasn't pretty.
There is no way that would happen these days (they fit well now!) but those shorts have begun to show serious signs of wear. When I hung them out to dry on the washing line this week a major problem became apparent....
Not wanting to part with them just yet I decided to do a proper repair job and chose a traditional mending technique; shasiko. I have only ever played with sashiko stitching on a decorative level before, but this was my chance to have a proper 'go' at it.
This is how they look now and I love them even more!
Next time you have something that needs mending why not see if a traditional technique could help you?
Thanks for reading!
I can hardly believe it is that time of year again.
Last year I made the small 12" x 12" quilt entitled 'innocence'. It was a simple printed and painted wholecloth of a little boy I once met whose wonderful name is Spinach.
Each year SAQA (Studio Artist Quilt Associates) put out a request for members to make and donate a small quilt which is put up for sale at a huge auction they host in September. Last year over 430 quilts were donated which raised over $80,000. The money raised is used to support SAQA's extensive exhibition and outreach programs.
Here is a random selection of quilts from the 2016 auction. Spinach is down there at the bottom somewhere. You can see more of the quilts by visiting the SAQA site. Click here to visit.
For this year's quilt I decided to revisit Spinach and make another very similar quilt - but showing how he has grown and altered. He now goes to school and I think of him often.
If you are interested in SAQA you can find out more about who they are and what they do here. I have been a member for just about 2 years and have met some great people and learned a lot about quilt making, exhibiting and lots more through my membership.
Thanks for reading.
I'll use them to dye some fabric.
To make the dye I started with about half a bucket full of dried flowers and added just enough cold water to cover them. They were very buoyant and I had to squish them down to get them to start absorbing the water. I left the bucket out in the sun all day to stew.
The next day I let the sun warm it all up again then squished the whole lot though an old sieve. The flowers had completely broken down into a silky mush, but the water had taken on an incredibly dark red wine colour.
Before I added the fabric I decided to mordant it in the hope that I would get a better result. I didn't want to use anything toxic, so I chose to use vinegar. All I did was make a mixture of water and vinegar (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water) and simmer the white fabric in it for an hour. After 1 hour I left the fabric to cool in the solution and then squeezed it out ready to dye. If I had been scientific I would have tried a mordanted piece of fabric and a non mordanted piece to see the difference - but if I'm completely honest - I forgot.
As I had a lot of dye liquid I decided to see whether simmering the fabric in the dye would give a darker colour than simply leaving the fabric to soak in the in the sun. I cut the the squeezed out fabric into two and put one into my dye saucepan and simmered it for an hour then left it to cool overnight. The second piece I just put into the dye bucket and left it out in the sun.
The next day both pieces looked exactly the same.
Finally I put them both into the washing machine and washed them in cold water with a little delicate washing liquid.
The photo above shows how the two pieces of fabric turned out. They are both almost identical (so there was no need to use any electricity to simmer the fabric at the end - and quite possibly I could have done without simmering the vinegar either - something to explore in the future) and have a very pretty pale pink with a hint of greyness. I suppose I could call it mink. I still have a piece of avocado dyed fabric from last year so I have included that in the photo too (on the right). That has a similar colour but has a little more brown in the pink. It actually goes very nicely with the hibiscus dyed fabric. (You can read the post about dyeing with avocado pits and skins by clicking here and here.
As delicate as the fabric is I think it needs a bit of a kick to create something a little more interesting - so I mixed up some procion to dye some more smaller pieces of fabric to co-ordinate. I used fuscia, golden yellow, charcoal, pewter, my current favourite, cobalt. And this is what I now have - I think it look great.
Thanks for reading.