Back in March I started to make small quilted squares for my logo 'Experimental Threads'. Needless to say, time passed and other things took priority. However, little by little, they are getting done. Each one had been made using a different technique.
The first three are here. I used my hand dyed fabric scraps left over from other projects, ( I cannot bring myself to throw fabric away - not even tiny pieces!) and you can see that for the letters E & A I have added some further pattern and colour using the 'everlasting' gelatine plate.
I made little sandwiches of fabric and batting cut to 3 1/2" and stitched them together to keep everything in place. I free motion quilted over the paper letters with a contrasting thread (as I explained in the March 4 blog entry) then tore away the paper. Easy peasy.
That gave me the lovely letter outline you can see for the letter R.
You can see from the letter E that I have yet to trim the excess fabric away from the stitched square, (finished size will be 3"). I will then end up with a square that will look much like the letter R, with the raw edges close to the stitching line. To finish the square neatly I just need to set the machine up to sew a very short (0.3 stitch length on my machine) and a medium width zig-zag stitch (4 on my machine) so that I can sew around the edges of the square to close up those raw edges. Just take your time over the corners if you try this. I have yet to perfect the technique!
Next up will be the letters N,T,M &E. They are sitting on my design wall as I write!
see my quilts in these magazines
Festival Of Quilts
Sew On The Go